Welcome to day 2 of trying to catch some wild yeast! Let's check in and see how the flour and water are faring.
Day 2: Hmmm
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (I actually used just under 1/2 cup)
- wooden spoon
I went to grab my starter on Day 2 and noticed that there were not too many bubbles (which from my research bubbles=eating). Surprisingly, this is not what I'm most concerned with. My flour and water have separated a bit and there's a film of water on the top of the starter. I'm able to fix this with a quick mix with a spoon, but I'm going to scale back the water to a little under 1/2 cup due to the very watery appearance of the starter today.
On the menu for today's stater feast is a tasty local flour and the slightly reduced amount of water. I added the flour all at once, but was more cautious with the water, adding it in bits and mixing well after each addition. As I had suggested, I added just under 1/2 cup of water. Giving the bowl one more good scrape of the sides and a good stir, I covered the bowl back up with yesterday's plastic wrap and returned it to the warm, sunny spot to eat and relax. Here's hoping I don't come back tomorrow to more watery goo with no bubbles as at that point I will have to declare it a failure and begin again.