Sometimes dinner sneaks up on me. No matter how much I try to take my own advice and have a plan for my meals, have meals ready in the freezer if I don’t or have leftovers to reheat, I just don’t. Or I just don’t want any of it. This would be a perfect time to give up and just go out but doing that all the time sets up some bad habits that are hard to break.
On a recent night like this, I foraged and came up with cooked chicken, chips, cheese and canned black beans and this “recipe” was born!
These tasty nachos are so forgiving and can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled to however much you may need. They are perfect for those nights when you have no idea what to serve or for big get togethers where the food needs to be cheesy, plentiful and not fussy.
Feel free to sub in any of you and your family’s favorite toppings-this is kept intentionally simple to give you a little inspiration to get started! You are only a few minutes away from a fun, finger food, family style meal that everyone will love!
Chicken Nachos-You Style
- 1-2 cooked chicken breasts (about 2 cups)
- Tortilla chips
- 1 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 can black beans, drained (or more if you are doing meatless or love beans)
- Salsa, sour cream, avocado or any other toppings you wish
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a glass baking dish (or a large cookie sheet) place a layer of tortilla chips
- Use half of the chicken and sprinkle over the chips then half of the beans and cheese and layer over
- Place a second layer of tortilla chips and layer using the remaining chicken, black beans and cheese
- Heat in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and warmed through
- Serve with favorite toppings and enjoy!
This recipe is one of my favorites because it shows that food does not have to be fussy, precise, or beautifully plated to be loved and enjoyed. I can’t think of a more fun time then lots of people gathered around a big heaping tray of nachos, topping them, eating and laughing together. And you can make these as healthy or as indulgent as you want! Nachos for the win!