As the days get shorter and our breath starts to become visible when we are outside, my mind turns to the kitchen. Yes I love to cook, but the advantage to cooking this time of year is that I will be nice and toasty warm in the kitchen!
When sunset comes before supper, my people love a good stew, can’t wait to dig into a good slow cooked dish, crave big and flavorful casseroles and have a handful of rich and creamy soups that call to us. When the soup mood hits us, I usually turn to this cheesy soup that I almost always have the ingredients on hand for!
The combination of healthy veggies, a rich and creamy broth and sharp cheddar cheese makes this one truly a meatless winner! This will warm you up on even the coldest night Mother Nature can throw your way. Paired up with a nice crusty loaf of Basic French Bread or your favorite from the bakery makes this a soup-er meal!
Potato Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves: 4
- 2 cups potatoes (about 2 medium russet potatoes)
- 1/4 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cups broccoli (about 2 small heads), cut into small florets and stems finely diced, if using
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can chicken broth (about 15 ounces-you can subsitute vegetable broth to make this completely vegetarian)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat
- Once butter is melted, add onions and stir to coat in butter
- Add potatoes and mix in to coat
- Allow potatoes and onions to cook in butter for about 5-6 minutes or until onions become tender, stirring frequently
- Add flour, mixing to ensure potatoes and onions are well coated
- Slowly add broth, then add milk
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are just tender (can be pierced with a fork but are not falling apart), about 20 minutes
- Slowly add broccoli to the pan and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes (broccoli will turn a bright shade of green)
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt and pepper
- Add the cheese to the pot and mix to thoroughly combine and melt the cheese
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper if desired
- Grab some bowls and dig into this tasty, cheesy delight!