There are few things better in the summer than tomatoes plucked straight from the vine. Warm, ripe, and bursting with flavor, it is the perfect time to dice a few up for burgers, salads, or just with a little salt, oil and herbs.
This quick and delicious bread is a tasty twist on a Margarita pizza using a loaf of good quality French bread and fresh ingredients, leaving you more time to soak up the summer nights. I will generally serve this as a light dinner with a cold glass of white wine but it could also be served as a tasty starter for a long, relaxing meal with your favorite people.
Tomato Basil, Mozzarella Bread
Serves 3 as meal, 6-8 as appetizer | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 loaf Basic French Bread or a prepared french bread loaf
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, sliced into strips
- 2-3 medium tomatoes (any variety besides cherry will work)
- 15-20 basil leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- Olive oil for brushing
- Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice french bread into 1 inch slices and brush each side of the bread slices with olive oil
- Place bread on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 3-4 minutes or until bread is slightly warm and a little crusty
- Remove bread from oven and top with mozzarella, tomato and a pinch of the chopped basil
- Repeat for each slice and drizzle the toasts with olive oil
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and bubble
- Remove from oven and add a light sprinkle of pepper to each slice (if desired)
- Enjoy hot from the oven with a crisp glass of something cold while enjoying a fine summer breeze!
- This recipe can be done inexpensively if you plan to have a small garden that includes tomato and basil. Both can be very easy to grow and produce large quantities that can be used in this recipe or many others. These are also quite adaptable if you have small space as they can both be grown in containers or pots. Saving a few dollars for better tasting food? That’s something to get excited about!