This year has been pretty good far. The weather has mostly cooperated, the mosquitos have been light and the smell of poo from the old sewer treatment plant about a mile from my home is gone! To celebrate, we have been spending lots of time outside and eating simple and fast meals so we can keep the outside party going. Combine this with some increased travel by Jim, and I have been relying even more on fast solutions for dinner on nights that I leave work, don’t feel the cooking vibe and want to go play with the boy and the dog. Overall, the meals have been (mostly) homemade but have been experimenting with a few convenience type foods that save time and effort and are a good substitute while I wait for my garden to do it’s thing. In doing this I stumbled upon a fast and tasty combination of rice, frozen bell pepper mix, salt, pepper, and precooked sausage (think kielbasa type) that comes together in under 30 minutes!
Feel free to take some flavor liberties with this not a recipe recipe ;) Crave a Southwestern vibe? Use a fajita veggie mix and already cooked chicken. I used cheddar filled cooked sausage to give mine a little boost of flavor. So go forth and make this dinner in a snap and have more time to get your summer on!
Speedy Sausage Skillet
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 package fully cooked kielbasa or flavored sausage
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 package frozen bell pepper mix (purchase type that the cooking method is boil)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Prepare frozen bell pepper mix according to package directions
- While the peppers are cooking, cut sausage up into coin sized pieces and warm in a skillet over medium heat until hot and browned
- Reheat rice, add cooked bell pepper mix to the rice and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve rice and bell pepper mixed topped with cooked sausage and ta-dah! Dinner in a hurry!
- To keep this meal super speedy, it is best to use already chopped and frozen peppers but if you are a true purist, you can always cut up and sauté fresh bell peppers and get a great flavor as well!
- If you do not have cooked rice on hand, prepare 1 cup of uncooked rice according to package directions. Be sure to add some time to the recipe for the rice to cook, and even with that this meal can be made a half hour. Perfect for beautiful nights that need to be enjoyed or busy ones that need to conquered.